Long standing regular Phyllis from Ashby St.Mary was ninety last week and we joined her friends with a celebration lunch at the pub. When we got home we weren't really that hungry at tea-time but a light snack was called for. In such cases what you do is raid the fridge and cupboards to see what's available. This is what I came up with.
In a mixing bowl I put some diced garlic, celery, spring onion and a spoonful of Boursin soft cheese. To this I added a boiled egg, red peppercorns and just a touch of mayonnaise. Mix all the contents together.
Take one large tomato, slice off the top and remove all the seeds and centre of the fruit. Fill the large cavity with your prepared mixture and top off with black pepper. Taking a slice of the heart of a lettuce to make your base, add the filled tomato and the top which you can fill with mayonnaise. Drizzle a little olive oil over.
TIPS I always de-string the celery by running the knife edge down it before dicing. Makes it much more palatable. If you want a spicier filling add a couple of drops of Peri-Peri sauce or any handy chilli sauce.
RESULT a light summer snack that's filling but healthy and leaves a good aftertaste in the mouth which I always think is the test of a tasty dish.
1 comment:
Where's the meat?
Post a Comment