Hi Wally, Enjoyed your trip to Dilham; it must be twenty years since I took the Birchwood up there. Have you tried the other fork, up the North Walsham & Dilham canal to Tonnage Bridge? I doubt you would get the gin palace up there, it needs a canoe or a flattish bottom outboard powered boat. I also looked at the militia - when I was in the TA our "parent" regiment was the 11th Hussars, known as the Cherry Pickers, because of their cherry red trousers, worn for the same reason as your jackets. Re 'spend a penny' can you remember when men had to pay to use the cubicles? As to using the shop etc toilets, it is possible to get a 'Can't Wait' card to use as an intro if necessary. Incontact provides them to eligible members (www.incontact.org). I see that I got a mention on the visitors list:-) Cheers Cec in Sutton.
Cec have walked the length of the old canal. There are some small boats kept up near Tonnage Bridge. Spoke to someone just last night about the canal. It would be lovely to see it restored and opened up although it would take a shedload of cash to get the locks working again but what a tourist attraction!
3 comments:
Hi Wally,
Enjoyed your trip to Dilham; it must be twenty years since I took the Birchwood up there. Have you tried the other fork, up the North Walsham & Dilham canal to Tonnage Bridge? I doubt you would get the gin palace up there, it needs a canoe or a flattish bottom outboard powered boat.
I also looked at the militia - when I was in the TA our "parent" regiment was the 11th Hussars, known as the Cherry Pickers, because of their cherry red trousers, worn for the same reason as your jackets.
Re 'spend a penny' can you remember when men had to pay to use the cubicles? As to using the shop etc toilets, it is possible to get a 'Can't Wait' card to use as an intro if necessary. Incontact provides them to eligible members (www.incontact.org).
I see that I got a mention on the visitors list:-)
Cheers
Cec in Sutton.
Cec
have walked the length of the old canal. There are some small boats kept up near Tonnage Bridge. Spoke to someone just last night about the canal. It would be lovely to see it restored and opened up although it would take a shedload of cash to get the locks working again but what a tourist attraction!
Wally
There was a bit in last week's freebie paper about restoring the canal. If I still have it I'll let you have a copy.
Cec
Post a Comment